Duquette and the Pennant: This Time It's Personal

Lucky Jim

It's also clear that Duquette wants to make a major splash in his first year back in the majors after a long hiatus. Picture him doing a cannonball into the pool. Picture your grill and picnic table floating down your street and ramming into a neighbor's car parked along the curb.

That kind of splash.

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2012/07/how-far-should-the-orioles-go-to-make-a-deal.html

I've been pretty vocal about not chasing rentals or giving up real value for (what I consider to be) a largely speculative run at the playoffs.

But this makes me even more uneasy. Just as I wouldn't want Buck to burn out an arm in pursuit of redemption, I don't think Duquette's need to redeem himself should play any part in what we do this off-season (even if it's admittedly hard to avoid from a personal perspective). Thoughts?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2012/07/how-far-should-the-orioles-go-to-make-a-deal.html

I've been pretty vocal about not chasing rentals or giving up real value for (what I consider to be) a largely speculative run at the playoffs.

But this makes me even more uneasy. Just as I wouldn't want Buck to burn out an arm in pursuit of redemption, I don't think Duquette's need to redeem himself should play any part in what we do this off-season (even if it's admittedly hard to avoid from a personal perspective). Thoughts?

We shall see I guess. I'm getting a bit worried. I'm generally against giving away top tier talent or even a lot of second tier talent for a rental or a talent like Garza. At the same time, I think we can accomplish short/longer term goals with a guy like Headley (or perhaps a Greinke deal w/extension, which seems like a long shot). At the same time, the division and distribution of talent does seem to have fallen closer to our level/potential level where an opportunity to make the playoffs may be feasable (I know some people don't agree with that) in addition to generating/extending fan interest.

I said a couple of days ago that I don't have a good read on DD and could see him giving up pieces for the future in an attempt to win now when a more realistic window is 2013-2014 (more 14). Some of his moves have been great but he overpaid for Wada (Not even factoring in his injury) and his two attempted Korean signings were disasters.

If he goes all gunslinger on us it could be a continuation of the ugliness we have grown accustomed to.

Honestly, it worries me a bit as well though I will not be too upset as long as they don't give up Machado or Bundy. I will say that it is kind of exciting that there is at least the possibility for a big splash after all of these years of sucktitude!

Honestly, it worries me a bit as well though I will not be too upset as long as they don't give up Machado or Bundy. I will say that it is kind of exciting that there is at least the possibility for a big splash after all of these years of sucktitude!

This!

I'm glad we are in a position to at least consider being buyers at the deadline for a change. The fact is, as much as Machado and Bundy look like sure thing Major Leaguers, what has Matt Wieters become? Yes, he's an All-Star. Yes, he's a great player. But he's not the superstar, throw the team on his back kind of player we all expected.

My point is, you never really know how good these prospects will be. My wish would be not to trade any of these top guys, but on the other hand, if we are close (and lets face it, as bad as we've been, we STILL would make the playoffs if the season ended today) then I say go for it this year! It could be another ten years before we get another chance! You just never know what tomorrow brings.

I'm scared DD is going to do something ill advised. To the point that I wouldn't mind us struggling out of the gate to start the 2nd half if that is what it takes to stop DD from making a win now move.

This!

I'm glad we are in a position to at least consider being buyers at the deadline for a change. The fact is, as much as Machado and Bundy look like sure thing Major Leaguers, what has Matt Wieters become? Yes, he's an All-Star. Yes, he's a great player. But he's not the superstar, throw the team on his back kind of player we all expected.

My point is, you never really know how good these prospects will be. My wish would be not to trade any of these top guys, but on the other hand, if we are close (and lets face it, as bad as we've been, we STILL would make the playoffs if the season ended today) then I say go for it this year! It could be another ten years before we get another chance! You just never know what tomorrow brings.

Tomorrow brings Bundy and Machado.

I was against the Thome trade but it depends on who we trade and who we get back. If Tillman and Gonzalez can be serviceable, the wildcard is still a longshot but possible. Gut feeling is that we have no shot and should not trade top prospects for rentals.

Okay but what if say Zack G signs an extension and it doenst cost Bundy or Machado?

Tomorrow brings Bundy and Machado.

At one time, tomorrow brought Matusz, Arrieta, Tillman, and Britton.

At another time, tomorrow brought Wieters.

At another time, tomorrow brought Reimold and Snyder.

At another time, tomorrow brought Ponson, Cabbrera, etc.

All of these guys were at one time or another considered "can't miss" prospects, and yet, most of them have missed.

All of these guys were at one time or another considered "can't miss" prospects, and yet, most of them have missed.

Ponson, Cabrera, Reimold and Snyder were never "can't miss." Neither was Arrieta.

Wieters is really the only comparable as a cream of the crop prospect. I mean Bundy is #1 and Machado #9. For all the issues people take with what Wieters isn't or has yet to become, he's still an All Star player.

I'm fine with trading Schoop/Avery/Hoes/ Delmonico, etc in a package for a guy that helps this year and is part of the future but trading from the top of our thin farm system for a 2 month rental would just be a bad move.

Archived